VA guidelines

Reader Question: VA Grants For Home Improvements

March 27, 2012


Reader Question: VA Grants For Home Improvements

The VA home loan program goes hand-in-hand in some cases with other VA benefits. Did you know the Department of Veterans Affairs offers grants for qualifying disabled veterans that can be used to renovate a home to make it more accessible?

One of these grants, which we’ve written about in previous blog posts, is the VA 2101(a) Specially Adapted Housing Grant. It provides up to 50 percent of the cost of a specially adapted house (in specific, qualifying circumstances) or a maximum amount of just over $63 thousand.

The 2101(a) grant is intended to help purchase a home already adapted for disabled access, and can also be used to modify a home not currently accessible.

With this information in mind, we turn to a recent reader question;

“My husband is a Vietnam Veteran. He is at 70% disability. We were wondering if there are grants to do home improvements. We own a mobile home and the windows and roof need replacing. In our bathroom is a huge garden tub that we never use because it is hard for him to get in and out. Our step in shower is also unusable right now because of the floor. Any information would be greatly appreciated.”

VA grants under the Specially Adapted Housing program are specifically for making the properties accessible. Replacing the roof, windows, or other items may not be covered under this program unless the alterations or improvements fall under the guidelines and requirements.

But making a tub or shower area more accessible is something the grant is designed to cover–it’s an improvement that makes the property more accessible  for the veteran. According to, ““The goal of the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant Program is to provide a barrier-free living environment that affords the veterans or servicemembers a level of independent living he or she may not normally enjoy.”

Specially adapted housing grant rules include qualifying injuries or disabilities–borrowers should contact the VA directly to learn more about these requirements, what kinds of properties may be renovated or adapted using this VA grant money, and what other options might exist for veterans who seek this type of program.

Join us on Facebook

  1. Melvin Armstrong

    Need VA grant for home improvements ! I am 100 per cent disabled and need a lot of improvements to our home! Own house and 2.5 acres !

  2. Norman Gosnell

    I have read some articles about the VA grants for making a house suitable for a disabled Veteran like me. I want to buy a home now with the current pricing. How do I apply for the grant and purchase the home too. If I don't own the home I can't get the grant but I need the home improvements when I move in.Thanks, Norm

    • Joe Wallace

      Hi Norman, thanks for your question. For VA Specially Adapted Housing grants contact the VA directly at or contact your nearest VA Regional Loan Center.

  3. David Gordon

    I am a new first time homeowner who purchased a home built in 1975. Does the VA offer a grant for home improvements for replacing windows and hurricane proofing my home for non-disabled veterans?

    • Joe Wallace

      Hi David, I'not personally aware of such a grant, but the VA does insure refinancing loans with up to $6000 of approved energy efficient upgrades to items such as windows and other features. The VA Energy Efficient Mortgage refinancing loan would be the type of loan to ask about if you're interested...

  4. Chera

    Our townhouse is unable to be adapted for my husbands injuries. Can the SAH Grant be used to help get out of an upside down mortgage in order for us to purchase a home w/a masterbedroom, kitchen, and living room on the main floor? I am currently awaiting a call from a SAH reprsentative.

    • Joe Wallace

      You would need to speak to the VA directly for information on using the SAH in such a manner. Contact them at 1-800 827-1000.

  5. Clarence Folsom

    I have a old double wide house trailer and it needs a new roof and I need a grant of 6500 to replace roof and repair ceiling and repar floor. I am a Korean Vet and I can not pay a loan I need a grant. God bless.

    • Joe Wallace

      You would need to contact the VA directly by calling 1-800 827-1000 for assistance to see if you qualify for a grant.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *