VA loans VA requirements

VA Loans for Surviving Spouses of Veterans Who Died as a Result of Military Service

February 24, 2011


VA Loans for Surviving Spouses of Veterans Who Died as a Result of Military Service

There are three sets of VA loan eligibility categories. This is because the requirements for verifying a veteran’s eligibility for a VA insured home loan differ depending on circumstances, including the dates of service, what type of military service is on record and the nature of the discharge or separation from the military is on record.

Categories A and B cover the vets themselves, while Category C is for surviving spouses of veterans who died as a result of military service. Eligible surviving spouses, unlike their veteran counterparts, may only apply for a VA loan certificate of eligibility by mail, using VA form 26-1817. Those who can’t print the form or find a copy may call 1-888-244-6711 to request a paper copy of the form.

VA rules state surviving spouses of veterans who died while in military service don’t need to submit any additional documentation if the spouse is receiving Dependency and Indemnity Compensation or DIC for short. Those who don’t yet receive this benefit must submit:

-A copy (no originals) of the DD Form 1300 Report of Casualty
-A copy of the marriage certificate
-A signed statement saying that you would like to apply for DIC

The Department of Veterans Affairs reminds applicants, “If you qualify for the home loan benefit, you probably qualify for monthly payments under DIC.” These monthly payments may count as verifiable income for a VA home loan application, so it’s definitely a good thing to receive.

For surviving spouses of military members who died after military service ended, the VA requires:

-A copy (no originals) of the veteran’s DD Form 214
-A copy of the veteran’s death certificate
-A copy of the marriage certificate

The VA adds, “If your veteran spouse died after service, VA must determine that the death was due to a service-connected disability.  Please allow 2-3 months for this process unless you know that the decision on service-connected death has already been made.”

All surviving spouses should mail their paperwork to
VA Loan Eligibility Center
PO Box 20729
Winston-Salem, NC 27120

Be sure to include the veteran’s Social Security number on all documentation.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *