VA loans

VA Loan Service Requirements For Guard and Reserve Members

September 26, 2013


VA Loan Service Requirements For Guard and Reserve Members

109-logoRecently we’ve gotten several reader questions about the VA loan service requirements proofs and proof of eligibility requirements members of the Guard and Reserves must meet to become eligible for a VA insured mortgage. The VA Lender’s Handbook, VA Pamphlet 26-7, lists the details of these requirements in Chapter Two.

The VA official site lists the following VA loan service requirements for members of the Guard and Reserve:

Six years of service in the Selected Reserve or National Guard, AND

  • Were discharged honorably, OR
  • Were placed on the retired list, OR
  • Were transferred to the Standby Reserve or an element of the Ready Reserve other than the Selected Reserve after service characterized as honorable, OR
  • Continue to serve in the Selected Reserve

Please note that there are no retirement point totals mentioned. The only eligibility criteria for members of the Guard and Reserve are listed above, with the exception of veterans who are otherwise eligible because they served on active duty.

According to Chapter Two, borrowers who meet the VA’s minimum time in service requirements must furnish the following proofs of service appropriate to them:

Discharged Members of the Guard/Reserve

There is no one form used by the Reserves or National Guard that is similar to DD Form 214 (used by active duty members as proof of service). Discharged members of the Army or Air National Guard may submit NGB Form 22, Report of Separation and Record of Service, or a retirement points statement. According to Chapter Two, “Typically, all members of the Reserves and/or Guard receive an annual retirement points summary which indicates the level and length of participation. The applicant should submit the latest such statement received along with evidence of honorable service. VA will accept legible copies.”

Currently Serving Members of the Guard/Reserve

Individuals who are still members of the Reserves/Guard must provide a statement of service signed by, or by the direction of, the adjutant, personnel office, or commander of the unit or higher headquarters they are attached to. There is no one form used uniformly by the military for a statement of service. While statements of service are typically on military letterhead, some may be computer-generated.

The statement of service must clearly show:

• the veteran’s full name,
• the SSN or the last 4 digits of SSN,
• entry date of applicant’s Reserve/Guard duty, and
• the name of the command providing the information.

Note: The statement must clearly indicate that the applicant is an “active” reservist and not just in a control group (inactive status).

Do you have questions about VA home loans? Ask us in the comments section.


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *