VA loans

Can I Get My VA Certificate of Eligibility Online?

March 11, 2015


Can I Get My VA Certificate of Eligibility Online?

va loanVeterans who have never applied for a VA home loan before soon learn they need a VA Certificate of Eligibility before the lender will allow them to move forward with a VA loan.

This isn’t just a requirement set down by the bank.┬áThe Department of Veterans Affairs does not approve VA loans for those without a Certificate of Eligibility. The VA requires the veteran to sign and complete VA Form 26-1880, Request for a Certificate of Eligibility.

According to the VA’s official site, “You can apply for a Certificate of Eligibility by submitting a completed VA Form 26-1880, Request For A Certificate of Eligibility For Home Loan Benefits, to the Winston-Salem Eligibility Center, along with proof of military service. In some cases it may be possible for VA to establish eligibility without your proof of service. However, to avoid any possible delays, it’s best to provide such evidence.”

The borrower can submit this form by mail or electronically, but the lender can also submit the form for the veteran by using something called the Web LGY system. According to the VA, most lenders have access to Web LGY.

“This Internet-based application can establish eligibility and issue an online Certificate of Eligibility in a matter of seconds.”

Web LGY is the most efficient way to get a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA — the mail takes days to ship and process, and depending on a number of factors, even the borrower’s own online submission may take a few hours to get notification back that the Certificate of Eligibility is approved.

But not every application of eligibility can be worked using Web LGY. If the borrower doesn’t have enough information in his or her military records that can be accessed electronically, Web LGY may not be able to approve the application. This may be true in cases where the borrower is new to the military, recently discharged or there was a problem getting the applicant’s data entered into the system due to any number of factors.

Borrowers should at least try to have the lender use Web LGY for them — in cases where further information is needed, the borrower can simply fill out the form online or submit via e-mail themselves and wait to hear back from the VA. Active duty borrowers need to furnish a statement of service signed by their commander or designated representative. Retired or separated military members should provide a copy of their DD Form 214.


    I got a VA certificate of eligibility a few years ago, but it was lost when my house flooded. What email address can I send off to and request a copy of it for my files?

    • Joe Wallace

      Call the VA directly at 1-800-827-1000.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *