What Does the VA Say About VA Loans for Mobile Homes?

A number of questions have come in recently about VA guaranteed loans for manufactured homes or mobile homes. Some people mistakenly believe mobile homes are not eligible for VA mortgages, but that is not true. Any manufactured home that meets VA standards is eligible for a VA mortgage. The buyer should remember that while the Department of Veterans Affairs can’t force a lender to issue a home loan to a borrower, VA regulations do cover loans for mobile homes as long as they meet the following requirements:

A mobile home won’t be considered for a VA guaranteed loan unless it is installed on a permanent foundation–one that meets VA requirements. Many people ask about tie-downs for mobile homes, and the VA rules are clear on the issue. “The manufactured home unit must be properly attached to a permanent foundation system which is constructed to withstand both supporting loads and wind-overturning loads, and is acceptable to the building authority having jurisdiction.”

If a VA loan applicant is having a manufactured home assembled or constructed for them, the VA does not require that builder to have a VA builder ID number, but the company responsible for installing the foundation IS required to have one. Additionally, the VA requires that foundation to be covered by a one-year VA builder’s warranty that is signed by the builder.

The VA won’t cover loans for relocation of mobile homes, and borrowers should remember that even though a mobile home meets all VA standards, if the bank won’t approve a loan application for the home the VA can’t force the lender to do so. When applying for a VA home loan, it’s a good idea to ask the lender in advance the best way to proceed for loan approval. Some approaches may be more attractive to a lender than others–especially if you’re buying land in conjunction with the mobile home. Much depends on your individual circumstances, credit, and the terms of the loan itself.

11 Responses to What Does the VA Say About VA Loans for Mobile Homes?

1. Emmitt George Jones Jr. says:

Can I use my Va certificate of eligibility for Debt Consolidation? I live in a 28×64 manufactured home on 1.14 acres of land. I owe about 11,500 currently on house and land. Along with car payments, insurance, utilities and kids, struggling to make all payments. Can I get a consolidated loan to put everything on one note with house and land and some other items for colateral. Tried some lenders but won’t do loans on Mobile/Manufactuered homes. The manufactured home is tied down well no axles or wheels underneath and is underpinned.

The VA doesn’t guaranty debt consolidation loans, unfortunately…it guarantees home loans, and refinancing loans for the home.

2. William Hall says:

I want to buy a used mobile home in a mobile home park across the street from Melbourne Beach. It’s listed for $139,900.00.With owner ship of the property.it’s 1800 sq. ft. Will the VA loan tha much on a used Mobile home?

There are many factors that go into the VA’s maximum loan amount, but the first thing you should check is the VA loan limit for your county. For mobile homes, there are a number of additional factors that factor into VA loan approval including whether the mobile home is on a permanent foundation or not. Check with your nearest VA regional loan center for information about the loan limit in your county or ask your lender.

3. Suzan Garcia says:

We own our home, paid cash for it. Can we get a loan for home improvements. For example, paint, carpet, and tile floor repairs, ect.

Unfortunately there’s no provision I can find for a VA loan on a property you already own. Refinancing loans require a first lien, and VA loans for new purchases don’t allow cash back to the borrower.

4. I would like to know if I could get a VA loan on my double wide mobile home. My home cost me $35,000.00 when I bought it, I now just owe $6,900.00 on it. I need to refinance it to lower my payments. I am disable in a wheel chair and need to lower my payments. I have a income of $2358.00 per month on my Railroad retirement and social security income. I had one VA loan back in 1975 I sold my home and had to move from Fla. to South Carolna due to my job.

5. Raymond Igou says:

I am interested in buying a mobile home park and living on it myself. I was also inquiring if there is a specific type of VA loan to look at? If you could help me I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you and happy holidays.

6. Charles E. Hamm says:

we are trying to find out if we can find a finance company who would do a mobile home on rented property with our Va eligibility form. we have up to 36,000 on eligibility.

At the present time there are very few lenders willing to to VA loans on manufactured homes–it’s a market-driven decision, but you should definitely keep searching for a lender in case conditions change.